Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Urban Gardening

The past few years we have tried our hat at urban gardening (re: in containers on the deck). So far, it's been hit or miss. Last year, the pots were too small so we didn't get as nice of a harvest as we could have. This year . . . I think we are ready. Six large pots each with a different tomato plant. We have herbs and two pepper varieties scattered around also.

It's almost time to stake the tomatoes . . . they grow fast! Last year I used a horrible cage I got at the Home Depot, granted it probably wasn't for tomatoes, and it did not work. This year, I'm doing my research and I think I'm going to get the Ultomato. At around $8.50 from Ace Hardware it seems like a good idea. And, really, with a name like that. . .who wouldn't want one?


1 comment:

shouldhavezagged said...

I haven't made one but they seem pretty slick -- The Tormato. Check it out: http://www.itsatormato.com/

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many