Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Black Friday


I love shopping. I love shopping for my house more. Now, I've done the whole wake up at 3am and run out to the stores on Black Friday thing. It's nuts. There is the constant feeling of impending doom (like, from being trampled), and you're so tired and cranky by the end the whole day is ruined.

This year, I am after a certain item. The wreaths from Lowe's. They are having the 23" wreaths marked down to $7.97! Which means, I can fulfill my dream of a wreath in every front window and the door (six in all) for under $50! I know. . . i dream big.

They also have Christmas trees for under $20. Here, I face a dilemma. I love me a Christmas tree, don't get me wrong. But, there is something about this beautiful tree that has grown for so many years (sometimes decades!) that is chopped down and then thrown out a few weeks later. Am I alone in this? The trees are farmed, and really what's the real difference in having a Christmas tree and eating broccoli (that was alive too). So, I'm on the fence.

Want to see more of the Lowe's ad? It's up on their site.

Don't forget to sign up for the Purdy giveaway! It ends today!

4 comments:

SFDC said...

The broccoli analogy is a good one. There is another value in that while the land is being used for tree farming, it is not being developed for other uses, and it is supporting a local economy.

Benny said...

Good point SFDC!

So, are all trees local? I don't want a tree shipped in from Montana...

SFDC said...

You would have to ask an independent tree seller where the trees are from. There are plenty of tree farms in MD, VA and DE, but I don't know for sure if a big national chain like Lowes would source the trees locally or not.

NV said...

I always feel guilty about the live trees, too, so I love your analogy!

I've always found Black Friday shopping to be fun. I'm a little concerned this year though as most stores are stocking so few of any one item, there's bound to be more chaos than usual.

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many