Monday, January 14, 2008
Feeling inspired by my bathroom accomplishments, and having a nice faucet already purchased, I decided to take on the task of installing the faucet. I googled the different methods and found most labeled as "beginner". No problemo, I thought. This was my first mistake.
I took out my wrenches of varying size and proceeded to peer under the sink. Aha! Nuts, bolts, just like the pictures said. Cake. Yes, this would have been the correct evaluation had the sink not been child sized, leaving me 4 inches of space to work in. I painstakingly removed the old faucet feeling a sense of glee to be taking apart plumbing fixtures, and seemingly correctly at that. Now, to install the new faucet.
Because of the space predicament, some parts of the new faucet would not work - thankfully I could rig them with the old faucet. After a decent amount of cursing, wedging my face into small crevices, I had it in. However, I couldn't tighten the bolts that connect the water line to the faucet. The wrench would not fit in properly and so I hand tightened to the best of my ability and prayed.
I turned on the water and presto! It worked! Extremely pleased with myself I tidied up my tools and proclaimed to Dan that the sink was now in working, and stylish, order. I plunked down on the couch to relish in my handywork.
An hour later:
Dan is shrieking "It's leaking, Oh My GOD, it's leaking!!! Water is pouring out! What if it gets into the apartment downstairs! Water Damaaaaggggee!"
I got up and walked over to find a small leak, and perhaps a 1/4 cup of water on the floor. Someone, was overreacting. However, there really was a leak. It was coming from my nemesis - the bolt I could not tighten with the wrench. So, I was back at it. I tried every angle to get in there that I could ... no luck. I left the water turned off -- I would need to get one of those tiny handled wrenches they make for just this thing. Surely they make this.
The next day the hardware store tool aficionado told me there were no such thing as tiny handled wrenches. WHAT!!! He gave me the smallest adjustable wrench he had. I felt hopeless and was back to square one.
I finally figured out that if I took it all apart, I could angle the pliers up and tighten the bolt. Then, I would have to put it all together again.
For now, it seems to be working correctly.
Posted by Benny at Monday, January 14, 2008