Monday, August 24, 2009

And then. . . they stole my stuff

This morning at 7am, Dan shot out of bed and said "Isn't the contractor coming again this morning". I jumped out of bed and hurriedly put on my comfy pants as he looked out the back window for the truck. I heard him say from the back:

"Hey, someone broke our fence."

"What?"

"Yeah, someone broke some pieces out of the fence."

"You mean someone broke into our yard?! Did we get robbed?"

I ran down the steps and fumbled with my keys to get the back door open. The grill was still there. Phew. The patio set, tomato plants, and bikes all were in their place.

The lawnmower was gone.

The storage closets were pried open, but since they were locked, they didn't get in.

About a week or two ago, my contractor told me someone walked into our yard and when they made eye contact, he ran away. That same day I headed to the hardware store and got locks for everything. Except the lawnmower. I just didn't think about it.

Thankfully, we mowed the lawn yesterday.

5 comments:

Todd - Home Construction Improvement said...

Ouch! That really stinks! With the economy like it is right now this sort of things is happening so much. Sorry for the bad luck :(

Jamie said...

That sucks.

I have taken a more zen approach. I discourage thieves by keeping my backyard looking like either a Louisiana swamp or a post-apocalyptic minefield, depending on the season, complete with cockroach-sized mosquitoes. I also have a 1983 full-sized chevy pickup truck, brown, parked in my back yard. It is very West Virginia.

This approach does have it's downsides, such as getting 11 mosquito bites while taking out the recycling, and the occasional glares from my neighbors.

But I have never had anything stolen from back there. On the other hand, I have no need for a lawnmower.

Holyoke Home said...

I am so so sorry to hear this! But I am so glad that more wasn't taken. What an awful way to start the day.

Reba said...

Grrr! sorry to hear that! I'm curious --did you make a police report? Our neighbors had their front patio furniture stolen a couple weeks ago and they did but I guess it's the hidden cost of city life...?

Kate said...

Thanks insane. Are you OK? Maybe it's your homeless "neighbor" who likes to do yard work for cash -- I mean, he needs tools too. :)

HANG IN THERE!

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many