Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Rebuilding

After we noticed the hole in the fence, I called the police to report it. They sent someone over about 20 minutes later.

A brawny cop came over and assessed the damage in the fence and asked a bunch of questions. I mentioned how someone came into the yard two weeks ago and ran away when the contractor saw him. When I called the police about the stranger that day, they told me they couldn't do anything about it and discouraged me from making a report.

We talked about the lawnmower, what it looked like and how much it was worth. He filled out a card with our report number and left. He was as nice as could be and perfectly pleasant and respectful. I didn't feel like he thought we were wasting his time or over-reacting. After he left, I looked down on the card and on it was written " THeFt two/ DEstruCTion of PRoperTy". Crap.

Since we need to fix the fence fast we both took the day off and got to work. We rented a corded drill and got down to business. Three trips to Home Depot and about 10 hours later we were finished.

As we worked we joked every siren heard was headed to get our "perp". I doubt our mower will ever be recovered, and it doesn't really matter. I actually feel bad for someone who would have to break a fence and steal something. Dan said, "They'll probably die of Gonorrhea", though I don't think that's possible and I have no idea who it relates to theft, it was pretty funny.

It's not the theft that bothers me, but rather the idea of someone sneaking around as we slept. Did they come onto the deck and peer into the windows? Did they try to open the iron gate covering our back door? Have then been waiting to do this? It's really disturbing.

As I went to bed, I heard Dan locking up the downstairs. I heard the crack from the iron gate shutting, the thwap of the screen door and the snap of the glass door close. Crack, thwap, snap. Then, I heard him double-check all the dead-bolts and locks.

Safe and sound.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

*sigh* It's unlikely they'll recover it, and even if they do, unlikely to result in anything. Years ago someone stole my parents' lawnmower, and there were visible tracks through the grass from our shed over to another neighbor's garage. I don't think anything even came of that.

J - Pachamama said...

DANG. that sucks. At least u know how (they) got it. Years ago, we had a bike stolen from our 3rd floor balcony. Le sigh.

monica said...

When I lived in Arlington and worked in Bethesda, I took the Metro everyday, and only drove my car on weekends. One Saturday, got in, started it, put it in reverse, let out the clutch, and... nothing. Wouldn't move.

Turns out someone stole the front passenger side wheel!

3 Arlington squad cars showed up, 1 cop dusted for fingerprints, the cop who took the report told me that "we probably won't find it."

Benny said...

Yes, it is sad but true. People can steal your stuff and no one really cares.

Quinn said...

Strange. I live in Richmond, and there's been a rash of lawnmower thefts here. Maybe they're going north. Just seems weird that they're targeting lawnmowers....

Anonymous said...

You rented a corded drill? How much can a new one cost vs. renting? Isn't that one of those essential tools to have around the house?

Benny said...

Anonymous:

You raise a good point. I had loaned our drill to a friend so it was not at home. But, still, we only have a cordless and a corded drill is essential for decking/fence work. It's on our "to buy" list.

B

Holyoke Home said...

I wonder if they're selling the mower for scrap metal?

Good for you for tackling the fence right away.

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many