Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Black bottomed love apples


We are in love. With the tomato plants. Everyday is like Christmas - we bound out of the house shouting and pointing over who can find the latest flower or budding tomato on the plants. With six plants, this can take a little more time than I'd like to spend at 8:15am.  But last week . . .I noticed that some of the precious plum tomatoes had a little brown to their bottom, a little sag in their sway, a little debbie to their downer.

At first I ignored it. Eh, they'll grow out of it, I thought.  But, alas, this was not the case. Nine little love apples had to come down yesterday. . . victim to blossom-end rot. Too little calcium. . .and probably too little water.

3 comments:

Holyoke Home said...

Oh no! I HOPE it isn't blight! ALL our tomatoes were wiped out last year because of blight.

Here's hoping the rest of your tomatoes thrive.

Benny said...

Holyoke,

I'm crossing my fingers that this will happen to just those that we plucked yesterday. . .

Melissa at HOUSEography said...

I've had this problem with Romas for the past few years so stopped growing them. 1 variety of cherry/grape tomatoes (can't remember which now!) and 2 others. They need more watering though which is getting harder and harder with this drought.

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many