Monday, December 13, 2010

Winter White

Since I grew up in New Hampshire, I know what a real winter is.  Listening to the radio each morning from my bed wishing and hoping classes would be canceled.  Walking outside to have tears frozen to your face in a matter of seconds. Walking to school in six feet of snow . . . ok, maybe not that part.

The District last year had a taste, and this year looks like it's going to be another snow-filled season.  Living here has given me a relaxed sense of winter urgency. I've been lax about finishing projects before the cold snap sets in, and this year is no different. But, unlike past years, this winter has come early for this time of year.

This morning I woke to Dan whispering, "it's snowing" in my ear as I wearily opened my eyes.  Peering out the window I saw snow dusted cars lining the streets while snow flakes salted the windy skies.  While I enjoyed drinking fresh pressed coffee watching the flakes fall, there is sadness knowing the end of working outdoors in the fall air is here.

It's time for evening fires, full-bodied red wine, and hopefully returning to finishing projects remaining in the house.

Another year almost gone by.

1 comment:

Holyoke Home said...

I grew up in western Michigan. We got lake effect snow once a week - at least. I miss it so.

No snow+so cold it's not funny=grumpy face.

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many