Sunday, February 24, 2008

Let there be light!

My enemy for the past few weeks has been a small chandelier I have been trying to hang in our upstairs hallway. Chandelier in the hall? Yup, we're fancy like that. Actually, I just wanted to replace our current light with a more updated fashion. Mr. Fancy Pants (Dan) was not pleased. He wanted "More". Therefore, chandelier time.

It arrived in the mail with a small paper of instructions. Having hung two lights before, I simply glanced them over and then chucked them in the trash. Ha! See ya instructions! I am WAY too experienced now to have to follow these! I unpacked the rest of the light and sent all the packaging to the curb for morning pick-up.

That weekend, the light proved to be harder to install than I expected. I couldn't figure it out! Also, holding your hands above your head with an electric drill proved very difficult. Apparently I have limited upper arm strength. I also electrocuted myself pretty bad. This light has two switches to it - so I just made sure the light was not on and started to go to work undoing it. Yeah, um, learn from my mistake and shut off the power from the circuit breaker. I grazed my hand against the power line and quickly realized the line was live. I screamed with horror - Dan thought I died. I on the other hand, am convinced the electricity actually cooked the muscle in my hand in that section. Anyway, lesson learned. No more playing chicken with the power.

After a lot of googling and cursing and procrastinating....the light is up. I forgot to take a picture of the light before - but I took a picture of it on my carpet. Also, Dan thought it would amuse me to take pictures of me cursing and sweating while trying to install it. Helping? Nope. Taunting, yes! Alas, I have included the final product:

No comments:

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many