Thursday, February 28, 2008

No Sir!

We received a blanket estimate for Sir...it was not good (read: expensive). I think Dude will be our man! I am thrilled!

Now I get to pick out all the crap to renovate with. Not so easy, I figured out. I mean, who really knows about all the little details. Unless you (like me) tend to obsess about this stuff. I mean, I have a blog about it for heaven's sake.

One great thing about Dude (seriously, this is turning into a love letter) is that he is really willing to work with us about getting cost down. For example, we are going to do some of the work ourselves - like demo our kitchen! Isn't that the best part, anyway?! You get to come in and smash things and take them apart. Delightful. When I watch those home improvement shows and they smash the kitchens down I get all excited - it's like watching Monster Truck Racing. What? Stop looking at me like that! But, we are going to "gently" demo the kitchen so we can donate the materials. I have to convince Dan of this who is going probably ordering sledge hammers and goggles as I write this. I think I am going to have to get us some "Hulk" t-shirts for this with spray painted muscles on them. Or, even better, some flannel shirts with the sleeves cut off! Also, some hard hats will be in order. And, a tool belt. And, a ....OK, I'll stop. Maybe planning the outfits isn't the best way to go about this.

Now, onto more "normal details". One good thing about hiring a contractor is that they can get the job done faster than say, Lowes. Who told us that we would be without a kitchen counter top for about a month. To me, this means we would be without a kitchen. Since the sink would be mounted to the counter....no sink. What's a kitchen without a sink?

Looks like we will be without a kitchen for about 2 weeks though - at which point I guess we'll live off of paper plates (biodegradable of course - get off my ass!!) and a microwave. Maybe we'll pile these electronics into our bedroom and pretend we are in college again. Heck, we could even get a hotplate, some Natty Light and some pop-tarts. The only bad thing is we would have to go to work and couldn't skip class to play Mario all day. Unless we felt like we were ::cough, cough:: really sick.

** My future work shirt!

No comments:

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many