Sunday, March 2, 2008


When our washer and dryer unit was replaced last year they gave us a unit that did not fit the space. We removed the door and let it all hang out there. It was that or no laundry. So we thought. After some quick research I discovered we could re-route the dryer vent to the side and then we would gain an extra 4 inches or so to push the dryer back. Here is what our laundry looked like before:

So, on Saturday Dan and I headed down to Frager's and hit the Just Ask Rental department. They have so many great things to rent! I had no idea. We got ourselves a nice appliance dolly and (since we were there) some bolt cutters to detach the grill from our deck. Yeah, um, I guess our neighborhood was not the best so the previous owners chained the grill to the deck. Really, really close to the deck. Which is all fine until your grill turns into a fire breathing dragon and has flames licking the railings. This may be the reason my neighbors grape vines never grew back. Our bad.

We got the dolly back and proceeded to pull the washer/dryer from the closet. This was not as easy as it looked. We both tried it:
No dice. So, we joined forces and after about 15 minutes finally got the hang of it. When we finished, we then realized we had to crawl behind and under the hoses in the back to get to and from the kitchen area. It was ridiculous. Since the unit was out - I took the time to hang some utility hooks so we could hang our mops and brooms and wood splitter up and off the floor. I found my judgment to be remarkably off when trying to hang something straight in a small space. This is where my trusty level came in! Dan punched out the hatch on the side of the washer/dryer and I then re-routed the dryer vent cable thing and -- we were in business. All we had to do was move it back in place.

The problem came in that as we moved the unit back, the dryer cord was slipping back behind the unit. This resulted in my having to climb on top of the unit and tape it to the side. But, every time we moved it - it fell again. Five times of this later:
We finally got it unto place. (Don't ask why my shirt was riding up so much - I was WORKING here people. And, a little plumbers crack - in my case back - never killed anyone.) I was glad my uncanny skill of slipping into small spaces really came into play in this project. All in all, this project took about 2 hours of steady labor. We put the door up and ... it doesn't fit. It partially fits, enough for it to look like this:
Since we are having a new door built anyway - this will have to do for now.

No comments:

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many