Monday, October 5, 2009

Fire it up

The fireplace has been an ongoing project. It required many steps to complete (er, soon to complete), including re-framing, electrical work, floor repair, and most recently, a new granite piece and paint.

Here's were we started on move in day:

It's hard to tell from this picture, but the sides are angled. Let's talk about that pink tile. Whoa mama! Then, the double sided tape and clear plastic covering the firebox. She's a beauty!

So, the destruction and rebuild began:

The tiles were stripped and the box was straightened out and brought up to the ceiling:

In order not to waste space, we added some bookshelves on each side:

And, added a nice mantle:

I originally wanted to put down some marble tiles to save money, but it never seemed to come together quite right:

So, when we filled in the hardwood on the sides, we added a nice piece of granite:

This weekend, we finally got to putting the finishing coats on the shelves and the mantle. Next up. . . the walls and full reveal!

1 comment:

Kelli said...

Wow! What a wonderful transformation! I didn't grow up in a house with a fireplace so having one in my current house has been a real treat.

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many