Friday, October 16, 2009

The Kitchen Conundrum: That which I would not have done again

Now that the kitchen is done and I look back at the process, I have to admit...I messed some stuff up. Here's my list of offenders:

- I would have chosen white grout. I know, it looks great with the gray, but it also shows every little imperfection.

- I would not have planned a vacation on the idea things would have been completed. It made the vacation not as relaxing and coming back home was no picnic either.

- I would have put a note in the contract that the workers needed to arrive on consecutive days. They was a lot of 3 days weeks which made things drag out longer.

- I would have packed up the kitchen and organized the house better before we began. I'm still unpacking and arranging and dealing with stuff. It stinks. I should have been more organized.

- I would have hired painters. Yeah, I know this saved us a lot of dough - but it also cost us a lot of time. Oh, and I'm lazy. When I am home from work, the only thing I want to worry about getting on the couch is crumbs, not paint.

I'm sure I could go on . . . I'm sure in 6 months I'll have a whole other lot of regrets.

3 comments:

Kate said...

I think those are the type of regrets that everyone has no matter what - who doesn't wish they were more organized and the work was done more quickly? So if you have to have regrets, I don't think these are too bad :) I love the way the kitchen turned out. I'm sure that as you live in it more you won't even remember some of that stuff.

Jamie said...

Regarding getting the contractors to arrive on consecutive days... good luck!! In a perfect world that would be great, but I doubt you could really expect most people to be able to commit to a specific day, especially when waiting on other contractors. It is very difficult to predict how long things will take and they can't really be expected to drop whatever else they were doing to come do your job. It's just kind of the way it is, even having people there 3 of 5 days when several contractors are involved I would consider a success.

NV said...

Hindsight's always 20/20 though, isn't it? At the end of the day though, the only important thing is do you like your kitchen? If the answer is "yes" don't even concern yourself with the "but." :-)

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many