Friday, February 5, 2010

Snow-pocalypse 2010

7am: Drove to four stores looking for self-starting fire logs because we ran out of wood. All sold out. Skies are gray and looming.

8am: Went to local grocery store, mainly because I sensed I had to, though I didn't need anything. Bought two yogurts and eggs. Felt accomplished.

8:15am: Treated myself to a latte at Peregrine.

8:45am: Started working at home. Dylan & Nina helped.

10:30am: Snow started.

11:30am: National Weather Service increases snow prediction from 18-24 inches to 20-28 inches. (December 19th storm was 16.4", and on a Friday night as well. My office was still closed on Monday).

11:31am: For a reference point, I measure how high 28 inches is. It's past my mid-thigh. My heart beat a little faster.

Noon: Went to corner store. Bought 5 self-starting firelogs. Owner told me they have 9 more cases in the basement. Felt relief I would not freeze to death if power went out. He also mentions not being able to get milk this morning, all distributors are sold out.

12:15am: Turned on the news. Weather guy reports 20" minimum, and says there is potential for 33". It's reported the most the District ever received is 26.5". I measure 33". . .it's about 4 inches below my hip. Sweet baby Jesus.

12:45am: News guy reports DC will not pick up recycling this week, and only trash from the front of the house. Reporters from grocery stores show empty shelves and shoppers waiting in line for hours to either pay or even get into the store. Blizzard + Superbowl weekend = grocery store mayhem.

2pm: Snow started sticking. It's being reports the Metro system will close above-ground stops when the accumulation reached 8 inches.

3pm: Scared to lose power overnight. Start dishwasher and toss a load of laundry in.

5pm: Cleaned out the fridge and took all trash out. Don't want to be stuck in a stinky home. Thankful I bought so much beer earlier in the week. So far, about an inch has accumulated.

7pm: About 2-3 inches

8:30pm: 5-6 inches

8:45pm: Head outside and shovel. Snow is incredibly dense. I work up a sweat. Hear branches crackling. Not a good sign.

9:10pm: Notice the electric wires are down in the back of the house. Call Pepco emergency line. On hold for 20 minutes. They tell me they'll send someone. . . but have no idea when. Now, I have to wait up for them. (the drooping wires in the picture usually are about 15 feet higher than that.)

9:30pm: Hang up with Pepco. Hear very loud crackle. Look out the front and see a 15 foot branch has fallen across the street. Sense losing power is imminent. The "fun" of the storm is gone.

No comments:

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many