Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Haste leads to waste

Back in early March I purchased a hammock at Target. It was the first weekend they started bringing in their outdoor decor and I snapped it up. Now, I don't know if it was priced wrong, but this this baby was ringing in at $29.99 and was in my cart in a flash. I brought it home and propped it up against a wall for it to stay until the weather brightened.

This Saturday, I decided Mr. Hammock would make his debut. I moved the lawn and even weedwacked the edges to set the perfect stage. Then, I took some thin rope out of the trunk of my car and strung up the hammock over two diagonal fence posts in the yard. I took my place on the hammock and after several adjustments got it to the right height. I know they say money can't buy happiness, but it can sure buy a hammock, which brought me loads of happiness. While the far side of the hammock was perfectly positioned on the post (say that five times fast), the side near my head was a little precarious. The rope was in danger of flinging the fence cap into the yard. It needed a proper hook.

During my target run I picked up an inexpensive hook and hurried home to set up my precious hammock. I screwed it into the post and took my place again. Then this happened:

leading to this:

and this:


After whining about my sore arse, and reading the hook packaging which clearly stated "no matter what, will not hold over 35 pounds". I headed to Home Depot to get some industrial hooks. I came home with a 2000lb. weight limit carbiner and some sort of load hook. They too stated "do not use for supporting human weight". Whatever. So far, it works...

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many