Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The beginning of the end

On Friday, I came home and was pleased to see this:



Remember what it used to look like?! Saturday, the guys came back and added the gate for the fence and some last details, I put the table on the patio and we enjoyed breakfast there on Sunday. It was great!:

The, you walk up the fantastic steps to see this:


Gross splintered weathered floor boards. Ah, the projects never end. I wish we could have had someone come out to replace the floor boards and put in a new railing, but it was way, way over budget. In the end, demolishing the planters ourselves cost us 10% less than to have the landscapers do it. It was NOT worth it. But, I had no idea. All part of the learning process I guess. The landscapers who did our yard are Diversified Contractors. You can reach them at Diversifiedcontractors at yahoo dot com. They were timely, professional, willing to work with out budget and our specifications. I would use them again for sure!
At 30% over budget on the yard, and still more work to be done, this turned out to be quite the project, in the end we will probably be 50% over budget. Oh, and that is what I say now, by the time we are done . . . who knows! I now see how everyone on home renovation shows go over budget. Or, if they stay in the budget - it doesn't look that great. It wears you down. You end up just saying "OK, go ahead" to an upgrade or more hired hands to do the work. Oh, and home renovations are EXPENSIVE!! Also, there are so many cool things to do. I think I ended up thinking along the lines of "we're going to do it, so lets just make it awesome". And, it is. It will be. We both feel like we have doubled our living space. Next up, plan a party! We should probably have some grass first though. . .

No comments:

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many