Thursday, July 9, 2009

Kitchen: Day 4

The more I thought about Monday's activities on Sunday night, the more panicked I became. Not only was I sick, but I had floor guys showing up between 7 -8am and a plumber coming between 9-11am. Had I scheduled them too close, would this cause a problem? Could I get out of bed and deal with all of this? Since I know all the ins and outs of the project I was the one who needed to tell them exactly what to do and be around to answer questions they had.

When the morning came and my alarm rang at 6:20, I was not pleased. I gingerly got ready and felt relatively OK. I sat in a chair downstairs beginning at 7am and waited for them to arrive as I checked all my e-mails and browsed trashy celebrity gossip sites. At 7:20 the truck pulled up outside. The two guys came in and we talked about the project and went over the little details. I explained to them that the plumber was coming (maybe as soon as 9am) to move the gas line so if they need to work in there beforehand, to start there.

Soon after they arrived they began smashing and removing the ceramic tile in the kitchen. I have never before heard a sound so loud. I huddled in bed as the sounds rattled the house. I can only imagine how mad the neighbors were. At 8:58am, the plumber and his apprentice showed. They floor guys had just finished removing the tile and it all seemed to be working out. The plumber took 3 hours to move the gas line. Not because he had been working for 3 hours. Because he had to run back to the shop and get a piece he forgot. But, in the meantime, the floor guys worked on the fireplace surround and everything seemed to be on track.

By 3pm, the flooring guys were packing up and a good deal of work had been accomplished for the day.

Here are some pics:

No comments:

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many