Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Done, for now.

Well, the floors seem to have been cleaned up. Part of restoring a 100 year old home is that there are imperfections in the fundamental pieces of the house. The stairs lean a little and the upstairs hall seems to slope to the left. While the carpeting made that less observable, a flat surface provides a new climate.

I have also discovered the standards we all adhere to are very different. While my standards say any less than perfect is not OK, other get by with what they can get done in a reasonable amount of time and effort.

Roy called at 7am this morning and I greeted him in my robe and handed him a check in exchange for my house key. As a whole I am satisfied with the work he did. I suppose I was not prepared to supervise as much as I had to, but that is the role you play if you are contracting your house.

The next projects will include painting the upstairs and setting up the guest room/office, installing the new phone and cable jacks, replacing the front door and adding stained glass, and reframing the fireplace.

For now. . . I'm on a break.

No comments:

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many