Wednesday, June 18, 2008

She's a brick . . . yard.

With the heat wave, the thunderstorms, and our laziness, the backyard is really taking a long time. We have the dumpster for two more weeks so we really need to get it done by then. I think I am going to have to hire a few helping hands for a day or two this weekend. We have made some decent progress though:

There is really no more pile of bricks, instead just a pile of brick pieces. I suppose it is time to invest in a wheelbarrow. So, more to come on that soon.

In the meantime we have been getting some quotes to replace the gutters in the front of the house. They are built into the facade and are just old. Last night we had the roofer over to talk about our options (he had looked at the situation last week). This guy, Steve, talked for an hour and a half straight. At one point Dan started coughing and I found out later this was a weak attempt to cover up his laughter. During the ramblings about the new fake slate options and the copper gutters that last up to 90 years and I won't even be alive then and copper costs more than gold now (yay.), my mind started to turn off and all I heard was static. Seriously, it was the most exhausting conversation I have ever had with someone. Also, who knew gutters were so expensive? After he left I was so tired I could hardly form a sentence as we stumbled to the local watering hole for something to eat ('cause no one was cooking, that's for sure). I wonder if maybe that's a strategy he has, tucker you out so you just hand him your life savings to stop talking. It almost worked, though I don't think a signed contract would hold up in court as out signatures would end up as slanted lines from weakness.

On another note, my neighbors lovely grapes are growing quickly! It just so happens all the fruit is on our side of the lattice. Shucks. I am not sure if we can really eat the grapes though. Anyone know? I see the birds eat them a lot. But, if I find they are people-friendly, those birds are going to be in for a battle. Seriously, I will mount 62 plastic owls on my deck and make sure my cats sit at the backdoor making that weird cackling sound they make when they see birds (what is with that?). My neighbors would love that.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Holy crap. Are you guys about to get rid of a bunch of old bricks? Can I come rifle through your dumpster?

I'm dead serious, I need vintage bricks to build up window openings that are too low for the countertop that is now in front of them. New bricks aren't the same size. Contact me at jamietre@gmail if you can help.

Benny said...

Hi Jamie,

I don't know how "vintage" these are. But, yeah, you can totally come over and take them. In fact, please, please take them away.

Anonymous said...

umm...i really enjoy that many of your posts are singing to me...those song titles...keep 'em comin'.

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many