Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Cooking without a kitchen

In general, I don't like to use the stove in the summer. It reminds me of reading books where southern women spent hours canning green beans in hundred degree heat. No thanks. That said, the idea of not having a stove for a couple weeks (read: month) is not something I am worried about. The real kicker? The sink. We will be without a fridge between the time when the old one is removed, the floors re-done, and the new one delivered, for about a week. I think I can handle it.

But, the sink? I suppose we can certainly wash dishes quickly using a outdoor hose and a make-shift drying rack on the patio furniture. I have visions of coming home to casserole dishes sunbathing on the lawn and pitchers of suntea brewing on the deck. Who am I kidding? I can't make a casserole with no stove!

I am compiling a list of things I can make using a grill and microwave and it's pretty long. The microwave is pretty useful in making couscous and you can certainly steam veggies in there as well. Grilled meats atop fresh chopped veggies is also great.

While this is all good, I'm not sure how long it will last. "Camping" at home sound like an adventure. . . until my patience is worn thin. I'm sure it won't be long until we're perched on our bed scarfing down cinnamon pop-arts and warm beers after work while watching The Money Pit on DVD.

No comments:

Injuries Obtained

  • Sprained Toe/Foot: 1
  • Blood Blisters: 2
  • Splinters under fingernail: 1
  • Bird Shit on me: 1
  • Eye Injuries: 3
  • Burns: 0
  • Falls off ladder: 0 (this is because we don't have a ladder yet)
  • Headaches: too many to itemize
  • Broken Bones: 0
  • Bandages Needed: 5
  • Electric Shocks: 2
  • Stiches: 0
  • Bruises: way too many